Yay Cork is proud digital media partner of Design POP 2021.
Cancel your getaway plans for the last weekend in August.
Cork is the place to be at the end of the month, as Design POP rolls out its biggest festival of architecture, design, and food yet from August 27th to 29th, 2021.
Seven different outdoor pavilions will be situated in locations around Cork city: Mark Horgan and River Club Bar at The River Lee Hotel; Play Nice studio and Currabinny at Wandesford Quay; Cook Architects and Ballymaloe foods at Elizabeth Fort; Alan Macilwraith of JCA Architects and Good Day Deli at Nano Nagle Place; Maser and Crawford Gallery Café at Emmett Place; Wilson Architects and Naturally Nourished at Penrose Dock; CCAE and Blackrock Castle Observatory at Blackrock Castle.
Behind-the-scenes photos show everyone’s wild and wonderful creations are coming along nicely…
Meanwhile, the outdoor festival HQ – The Courtyard at Cork Printmakers, Lavitt Gallery, and Backwater Studio on Wandesford Quay – will host more than 15 intriguing talks and chats throughout the festival.
Here’s a quick peek at the line-up for the weekend:
The festival opens with three events: talks by Kari Cahill, The Project Twins, and Director of The Lewis Glucksman Gallery Fiona Kearney (supported by Cork Chamber of Commerce).
- Panel discussion ‘Plating Up with Local Produce – Telling A Story with Food Through Photography & Styling’ with Brid O’Donovan, James Kavanagh and OHK.
- THE BIG IDEA with Kim Mackenzie-Doyle, Jonathan Leahy Maharaj, Eugene Canavan and Amy McKeogh.
- Panel discussion ‘The Launch- Launching a new brand and the creative process behind it’, with Ernest Cantillon (Kinsale Gin and Red Earl Whiskey), Tony Speight (WCC Roastery) and Laura Edgerton
- A talk hosted by Studio Anois
- In Conversation with Toonsbridge Dairy and The Real Olive Company with Jenny-Rose Clarke (Toonsbridge) and Kate Ryan (Flavour)
- In Conversation with Ardú and MASER” (supported by Pat McDonnell Paints)
- RIAI + DESIGN POP present Alastair Hall from Hall McKnight Architects, Sandra O’Connell (RIAI) and Tony Duggan (Cork City Council) in Cork Centre for Architectural Education
- Panel discussion ‘Interior design: Design and creativity how it impacts our everyday lives’, with Kate O’Neill (The Visual Loop), Niamh McCabe (Nimcake) and Cathy Angelini (Cathy Flamingo)
- Panel discussion ‘Diversifying – The Power and Importance of Diversifying your Brand’ with Declan O’Flynn (O’Flynn’s Sausages), Tim Stone (Popsicle) and Laura Edgerton (supported by Local Enterprise Office Cork City)
- Panel Discussion ‘The Impact Creativity Has On Our Lives- What Creativity Means to You and Everyone Else’, with Simon Roche (HMH/ Bureau), artist Shane O’Driscoll and Jimmy Rennick (Design Partners)
- Architect at the Edge presents: ‘Rural + Urban Architecture; How Covid-19 has Impacted How We Live’ with Frank Monahon (AATE), Alan Macilwraith (JCA) and Rae Moore (Atelier Rae)
- Closing Event: Behind the Pavilions with all the architects, designers, and food producers for a conversation about creating their pavilion.
Yay Cork is proud digital media partner of Design POP. You can check out the full schedule at designpop.ie/schedule.