The decision has been made.
In light of the country’s move to the delay stage of Covid-19 management and in the interest of public health, the Cork City Marathon, which was due to take place on May 31st, has been postponed until further notice.
More than 10,000 athletes were due to take part.
“The priority for us right now is to do everything we can do to keep you and your families safe.” said Adrienne Rodgers, Race Director and Director of Services at Cork City Council.
Mags Connelly, Safety and Operations Director at Davis Events, added “The last few weeks have been challenging for everyone. We take participant safety extremely seriously and know that with the current strain on emergency resources, we wouldn’t be able to provide the world-class response teams needed for our marathon in May.
The good news for Cork City is that the event is expected to go ahead in September, although the date has yet to be confirmed.
Participants who have already entered will be automatically deferred to the rescheduled date.