They’ve been shuttered for almost five months.
But there’s a palpable buzz on Cork’s most popular shopping streets this morning, as Covid-19 restrictions are lifted and non-essential retail can reopen for the first time in 2021.
More than 280,000 employees will return to work across Ireland today and they have a busy month ahead, with queues expected daily and social distancing in place at every door.
Excitement is building within our team tonight ahead of us opening our doors tomorrow morning in the Cornmarket centre. It’s hard to believe it will the first time we will get to see customers face to face in 2021. Best of luck to all our retail friends #shoplocalireland #cork pic.twitter.com/il41Q5hYuR
— Fervor and Hue (@Fervorandhue) May 16, 2021
The Government has reminded the public that face coverings are still mandatory while shopping, even if you have been fully vaccinated.
Health experts have also issued the following advice for shopping safely:
- When planning your shopping trip, please support your local retailers and businesses
- If you feel unwell you should stay at home
- If you do go out shopping, dress appropriately as you may have to queue outside
- Try to shop at off-peak times and keep a 2 metre distance from other shoppers and staff
- Try to keep your shopping time to a minimum and remember to use hand sanitiser when entering and leaving the shop
- Remember – you can still shop online or over the phone and collect your goods or have them delivered