Cork craftspeople will be appearing on illustrated billboards in these city locations
Here’s a way to learn a crafty cúpla focail.
Billboards all over Cork have been taken over by Cork Craft and Design to celebrate Cork Craft Month.
In a special nod to the Irish language element to the programme this year, the group collaborated with Notes to Cork and artist Annie Forrester, whose illustrations were commissioned for the campaign.
The following craftmakers are featured in these billboard locations:
- Breandan O’Riain – Maylor St
- Bernadette Tuite – Dillons Cross/StLukes
- Anthony Aylward – Rutland St
- Jenti Forest – Southern Road
- Hannah McGreneragh – Southern Road
- Orla O Regan – Southern Road
- Orla McCarthy – Turners Cross (Cork City FC Stadium)
- Ró Óg – Test Site
- Molly Ellis – Sawmill St
- Gra Na Tra – Lower Glanmire Road (before train station)
- Rosemary Kavanagh – Washington St
- Christine Byrne – South Douglas Road
A number of Irish Language events have taken place during Cork Craft Month, including a demonstration of traditional beehive weaving, given in Irish by Peadar O’Riada who used locally harvested mountain sedge grasses to show how this ancient craft has long proved best for bees’ health.
On Sunday, August 28th, Sonia Caldwell will speak in Irish about Rush Rattle Weaving in Kilcoe Studios, Main Street, Ballydehob.
See corkcradtanddesign.ie for more details.