There’s nothing like a cosy fire on a freezing evening.
But Cork City Fire Brigade is warning Cork householders that the way in which you store your extra fuel could prove to be a major fire hazard.
Stacking firewood in a neat pile beside the stove is a trend among fans of Scandinavian design, but it’s a really terrible idea as far as safety is concerned.
“One of our brigades attended a home which had filled with smoke due to timber blocks stores too close to a stove.” Cork Fire Brigade told their Twitter followers.
“The timber had been smouldering. Only for a smoke detector working, the result could have been much worse.”
— Cork County Fire Service (@corkcountyfire) February 10, 2021
Cork City Fire Brigade offered the following tips for using your wood-burning stove safely in the coming months:
- Keep a clear space around your stove
- Don’t overload the stove and leave it unattended
- Have working smoke alarms – test them.
- Have a carbon monoxide alarm fitted in the room where your stove is.