This incredible picture shows what The Lough looked like 100 years ago
It’s still a haven for birds and wildlife.
Back in the 1920s however, The Lough had a more rustic and natural charm.
A colourised photograph of the Cork City amenity taken 100 years ago shows just how sympathetically the surrounding area has been developed over the years.
Happily, much of the view remains the same to this day and many of the landmarks shown in the image remain unchanged.
A colourised picture of The Lough looking North towards Fr. O’Leary Hall & St Finbarres Cathedral, believed to be taken during the mid 1920s. #OldPhotosOfCork pic.twitter.com/1rJzKoZJuI
— Old Photos of Cork (@oldphotosofcork) September 18, 2019
The photo, shared by the Old Photos of Cork Twitter account, shows the Church of the Immaculate Conception on the Lough Road high on the hill beyond the water, although the row of houses that now sits to the front of the building has yet to be built.
A protected area since 1881, the spring-fed freshwater lake is now a wildfowl preserve, particularly for swans, and is also used for ‘catch and release’ angling.