Brought to you by Opera Lane.
Finally going in for the kill?
If your January sales strategy is to hold out until the discounts hit rock bottom, this is the week to pounce.
Staying on the straight and narrow can be tricky, however, so make a plan before you head into town and keep your eyes on the prize.
“Be on your guard with ultra-trendy pieces,” says Opera Lane’s personal shopper Breeda O’Connell.
“This includes flash colours, which sometimes have staying power, for instance, ‘Bottega’ green is still bang on trend for SS 2023, but sometimes do not (who knows how long Valentino-inspired ’Barbiecore’ pink will stick around?
“The most important thing with shopping the sales is to avoid falling into the trap of buying items only because they have been heavily reduced. If the price becomes your dominating decider and the item’s wearability or whether you really like it is an afterthought then hear those alarm bells.”
Breeda recommends sticking to statement pieces like wool coats, trench coats, leather jackets, jeans, well-fitting blazers, knits, classic shirts, simple tees or tops, and good boots.
Here are her general guidelines:
- Try to hit the shops at quieter times – weekday mornings are best
- Wear clothes that are easy to take on and off. It can be a pain, we know, but trying on in-store will save time, energy, and money in the long run.
- Wear decent underwear
- Bring something to tie up your hair
- If you’re really on a mission, have a belt with you and heels too, if necessary.
- Having a little make-up on can help everything look better
- Only go shopping with people who share your personal style and give good advice. Otherwise, go it alone.
- Check the label on the item, not just the hanger, as well as the shop’s return policy.
“Remember the golden sales shopping rule: anything you buy is only worth the money if you love it and actually wear it.”
Need some help creating a capsule wardrobe or a look for a big event? You can book your own bespoke one-to-one appointment with Breeda on Opera Lane via the Personal Shopping link here.