The official launch was this weekend.
And Cork’s newest food market, The Boatyard, is up and running and feeding the visiting masses in Cobh, with five top-notch new outlets installed in repurposed shipping containers.
The idea for The Boatyard originated when local resident Rob Coughlan, co-owner of family-run business Coughlan Fuels, was seeking a new location for a solid fuel depot and came across the site next to the Cross River Ferry in Cobh.
Recognising the rising costs of solid fuel and likely decline in the industry over the next few years, he was inspired to diversify and create a container food market venture instead.
With an initial investment of over €100k and employing 15 people, The Boatyard is already planning even further expansion and employment opportunities with potential for farmer’s markets, craft fairs, delivery services, apps, and weatherproofing, on the near horizon.
The first five food containers to open at The Boatyard include:
● ROAST Coffee Cork – Cobh’s newest coffee container, with a convenient indoor seating area, serving speciality East Cork Drury Coffee, teas and locally made cakes and protein balls.
● Hansum – The second edition of the popular Cork Rotisserie Chicken outlet, owned by restaurateur Colin Ryan, serving a range of signature ciabattas, wraps, salads and sides made with local fresh ingredients. Expect a new Breakfast Ciabatta exclusive to The Boatyard soon.
● HOOK’D – A brand new fish and chips concept, brought to you by Rob Coughlan and Colin Ryan of Hansum, bringing the freshest fish straight off the trawler from Union Hall in West Cork, daily to Cobh.
● Bunz – A new gourmet burger food container, created by top Cork chefs Fergal Deasy and Paul O’Sullivan. Gourmet smashed beef patties made with the highest quality beef sourced from Cork’s finest farmers, topped with a variety of tasty ingredients – yum.
● Mama Bears – Bringing a sweet touch to the market, Mama Bears, by Fergal Deasy and Paul O’Sullivan, offers a delicious choice of ice cream, healthy granola and acai bowls, and smoothies and crepes.
To celebrate the grand opening, The Boatyard is laying on special promotions, music, and family entertainment throughout the weekend from 9am to 8pm each day.