The number is rising.
500 new cases of coronavirus were confirmed this evening. The Health Protection Surveillance Centre has today been informed that 28 people diagnosed with COVID-19 in Ireland have died since yesterday.
There are now 6,074 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Ireland. A total of 263 people have died from the disease.
As the country awaits Friday’s NPHET announcement on the effects of strict COVID-19 measures in Ireland so far, Minister Simon Harris has confirmed that they will continue into the coming weeks.
Addressing the first endpoint announced by Taoiseach Leo Varadkar (Easter Sunday, April 12th), Minister Harris said it is too early to lift the restrictions responsibly.
‘We’re going to have to keep at it.’
“Just to be blunt and honest with people, the restrictions that are in place are not going to be lifted tomorrow, we’re going to have to keep at it,” Mr Harris told Classic Hits FM.
“What’s highly likely tomorrow is that the National Public Health Emergency Team will recommend that we continue with the very strict restrictions … I expect that to be a period of weeks,” Mr Harris said.
“But what we’re hoping to do tomorrow is show people what the journey looks like. If we keep at this for another couple of weeks, where does it bring us, what does success look like?”
Mr Harris said Irish people must accept that fact that the country is going to be on coronavirus alert for a long time to come and that, as it stands, there is no “magic point” where life can go back to normal.
“In relation to the roadmap, there is going to be a point in this country where we will have to live alongside the virus, for want of a better phrase, where sadly people will still get sick and sadly some people will still die but it is at a rate that is sustainable for our doctors to manage,” he said.